Thursday, November 17, 2016

I have this under control...I think?!?!

Philippians 4:7-13New Life Version (NLV)
The peace of God is much greater than the human mind can understand. This peace will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Christian brothers, keep your minds thinking about whatever is true, whatever is respected, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever can be loved, and whatever is well thought of. If there is anything good and worth giving thanks for, think about these things. Keep on doing all the things you learned and received and heard from me. Do the things you saw me do. Then the God Who gives peace will be with you.
10 The Lord gives me a reason to be full of joy. It is because you are able to care for me again. I know you wanted to before but you did not have a way to help me. 11 I am not saying I need anything. I have learned to be happy with whatever I have. 12 I know how to get along with little and how to live when I have much. I have learned the secret of being happy at all times. If I am full of food and have all I need, I am happy. If I am hungry and need more, I am happy. 13 I can do all things BECAUSE Christ gives me the strength.

“Trying to be in control and relinquishing control at the same time just doesn’t work; they can’t co-exist inside the same heart. When we let God drive our lives and trust that He knows best, we are able to rest and stop striving, which means that we will ultimately experience peace.”   Shana Schutte

I am one that likes control, as most of us do.  Recently I revisited a memory of skiing in Jackson Hole, WY.  Adam and I were still dating.  I had never skied before, and lets just say learning how to ski in Jackson Hole is not recommended.  The bunny slopes felt like I was sliding down Mt. Everest.  Adam was so persistent and patient in helping me learn.  However, my legs had a mind of their own.  I had no control over them and felt like I was on one big piece of ice heading south fast.  In fact, at one point, I looked up at him and stated, “If you can survive this with me, childbirth will be a breeze.”  I was struggling and not letting his guidance take that struggle away.  

Control is something most, if not all of us, want to have over all aspects of our life.  However, there is nothing we can completely control without letting God do the driving and instructing.  Very few times in life do I remember completely letting God take the wheel and sitting in the passenger side sipping on a cool beverage and enjoying a good book.  We want to continue to sit in the passenger seat and still be a back seat driver.  The times that I do remember completely letting God have the matter at hand are the times in which I felt complete peace.  Looking back at those seasons, I see God’s handprints all over those situations.  I know that He orchestrated every move and decision.  So why is it so hard for us to completely let Him have control when he promises He has this taken care of?  Simple reason…we are human and our minds can’t wrap around the supernatural powers of God.  He can give us utter peace, a peace that no one can explain.  

God moves mountains because He created them.  Enjoy Lauren Dangle and let her words sweep over you today.  



Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment