Thursday, April 7, 2016

Heart Check

 
Psalm 51:10 “Make clean a heart in me, O God.   Give me a new spirit that will not be moved.”

Luke 12:22 “Your heart will be wherever your riches are.”  

The other day I had packed a large apple in my lunch box.  As I pulled it out and examined how huge it was, I began to wonder if Eve had been faced with an apple of the same size and if its color looked as red as the one I had in my hand.  I then thought to myself, how often I’m handed something that looks so good on the outside, but the minute I have my hands on it and take a large bite, it is not as good as I thought it would be OR I want more.  My mind begins to be weighted down with the thoughts of wanting more or something different.  

On a daily basis, we fight this satisfaction battle in our brains.  Take a real quick heart check.  Look around at the blessings you have, be grateful.  Sieve through the thoughts that bring on that stinkin’ thinkin’.  Surround yourself with reminders of what you do have to be grateful for and know that there is only one way to truly be satisfied.  It is in a constant, growing relationship with him.  Because, that stinkin’ thinkin’ can bring you down and take the passion right out of your life.  Let Him fan our fire and keep our passions burning, even when we are pulled into so many different directions.  

What can you do to remind you of the many blessings you have been given?  My family and I sat down and wrote out a list together of blessings we have seen unfold over the last few years. Beautiful to see their wheels turning and their little hands create that list.   I also created a list that is on a notecard stuck in my Bible as a reminder.  It looks a little something like this:
  
I will bless the Lord today because…
His love for me is NEVER changing.  
I have a loving husband who loves me unconditionally.  
We have 2 beautiful kids who make us laugh daily.
I’m surrounded by daily reminders of Him and His grace.
I’m surrounded by a community of faith warriors.

These are just a few.  So get out a notecard, scrap of paper, or whatever you can and create a visual during your quiet time.  Do some spring cleaning within yourself, get ride of those cobwebs, and refresh your mind with all that you have to be grateful for.  

Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment