Wednesday, November 29, 2017

I deserve...

Titus 2:11-12New Life Version (NLV)
11 God’s free gift of being saved is being given to everyone. 12 We are taught to have nothing to do with that which is against God. We are to have nothing to do with the desires of this world. We are to be wise and to be right with God. We are to live God-like lives in this world.

Galatians 5:22-24New Life Version (NLV)

22 But the fruit that comes from having the Holy Spirit in our lives is: love, joy, peace, not giving up, being kind, being good, having faith, 23 being gentle, and being the boss over our own desires. The Law is not against these things. 24 Those of us who belong to Christ have nailed our sinful old selves on His cross. Our sinful desires are now dead.

Ephesians 2:8-10New Life Version (NLV)
For by His loving-favor you have been saved from the punishment of sin through faith. It is not by anything you have done. It is a gift of God. It is not given to you because you worked for it. If you could work for it, you would be proud. 10 We are His work. He has made us to belong to Christ Jesus so we can work for Him. He planned that we should do this.

Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday… 
None of these are bad when you have complete self-control when shopping and spending.  Last Friday, Adam and I went on our annual, Christmas shopping excursion.  We always leave excited and have fun while walking through the first few stores, but by the end of the evening we find ourselves frustrated and ready to go home.  I will make the statement, “I really want a new…” When in all reality, I don’t really need anything.  But Adam telling me that I don’t need it, upsets me.  I then begin to think of why I “deserve” that item.  Then I fester until I start to boil over.  By the time we get home, I’m finding myself thankful that we only do that once a year.  

Except this year, I really sat and reflected on WHY we end our annual Christmas excursion this way.  Selfishness, lack of self control, wanting earthly desires to fulfill something empty inside…those are just a few reasons why I come home frustrated from those trips.  

God does not intend for us to live this way.  AND this season is not about GETTING, it is about GIVING (Something I tell my own children over and over again, but need to apply it myself.)  I don’t “deserve” these things because I work hard.  I don’t deserve the love that God gives me unconditionally either.  However, He gives that too us.  That is greater than any gift we can purchase in any store.  

So, I’m putting my blinders on when I go shopping.  I will go in and purchase what is on my list and then leave.  I will be the “boss” over my desires.  I will remember the REASON FOR THE SEASON.  I will do this by spending time with HIM and in HIS word.  Being disciplined in that area in my life, will pour over and influence my daily choices and emotions.  I need to only be satisfied with serving Him daily.  

Be Blessed!




No comments:

Post a Comment