Wednesday, November 8, 2017

'Tis the Season for Self-Control

Titus 2:11-12New International Version (NIV)
11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,

1 Corinthians 9:25Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
25 Now everyone who competes exercises self-control in everything. However, they do it to receive a crown that will fade away, but we a crown that will never fade away.

2 Peter 1:5-8New Life Version (NLV)
Do your best to add holy living to your faith. Then add to this a better understanding. As you have a better understanding, be able to say no when you need to. Do not give up. And as you wait and do not give up, live God-like. As you live God-like, be kind to Christian brothers and love them. If you have all these things and keep growing in them, they will keep you from being of no use and from having no fruit when it comes to knowing our Lord Jesus Christ.

Piecing the underlined words together from the verses above seems to be a prayer that I find myself praying frequently.  

“For the grace of God has come to us, and He teaches us to say ‘NO’.  He guides us to live and exercise a self-controlled, holy life.  Living in and through our faith to have a better understanding on why we need to say ‘No’ to earthly passions.  We need to live God-like, not giving up, but growing; growing in our faith and love in and through Him.  With this comes fruit, fruit that we will be fed in our eternal home above.”  

We all have weaknesses.  The two that get me the most are emotionally eating - my sweet tooth gets the best of me - and getting “googly” eyed over material things for myself, my kids, and our home.  When I discovered Pinterest a few years back, I began to pin things and recipes that were not going to do anything other than thicken my waist line and thin out my wallet.  Discipline was something I struggled with consistently.  I would give up and give in so easily.  It snowballs so quickly in the wrong direction.  I still have these weaknesses and these self-control issues, but find myself really able to discipline myself more and say “No”.   Why?  I am in a season where my faith cannot be broken and I’m driven to be more for my family and others around me.  

What are your weaknesses?  What are you pinning these days on Pinterest?  What is causing you to snowball in the wrong direction?  Reflect on and pray over these questions, not for anyone else other than for yourself.  


Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment