Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Decorating Our Heavenly Home

Psalm 84:4-12 New Life Version (NLV)
How happy are those who live in Your house! They are always giving thanks to You.
How happy is the man whose strength is in You and in whose heart are the roads to Zion! As they pass through the dry valley of Baca, they make it a place of good water. The early rain fills the pools with good also. They go from strength to strength. Every one of them stands before God in Zion.
O Lord God of all, hear my prayer. Listen, O God of Jacob. Look upon our safe-covering, O God. And look upon the face of Your chosen one. 10 For a day in Your house is better than a thousand outside. I would rather be the one who opens the door of the house of my God, than to live in the tents of the sinful. 11 For the Lord God is a sun and a safe-covering. The Lord gives favor and honor. He holds back nothing good from those who walk in the way that is right. 12 O Lord of all, how happy is the man who trusts in You!

I have a confession.  I may be a little obsessed with Chip and Joanna Gaines.  (Side note - If you haven’t watch “Fixer Upper” on HGTV, find a way to watch a few of those episodes and you will understand what I am talking about. In fact, I have read her book and have Chip’s book sitting on my table to read next.)  When we first moved into our house (2 years ago in November), I envisioned what I wanted it to look like.    However, my mind likes to dream and our wallet restricts.  Slowly, over time, I’m making this house our home.  Recently, I was blessed with some beautiful antique bookshelves from my dad’s mom and pop 1950’s soda fountain pharmacy.  Now I’m slowly decorating and putting things on those shelves.  Basically, I’m playing house.   This is our forever home.  But truly, it is not.  

I write the paragraph above not to highlight my blessings, but to highlight my Earthly thinking.  This is home, this planet, is a temporary home.  The purpose of this home is to take what He puts in our hands and move forward with His purpose in mind.  We are pilgrims that are set out to do His works.  When I read the verse above, I see 
“Blessed am I when my strength is in You, when my heart is being troubled.  As I pass through hard times, help me make it a good place.  Give me strength with each step.  I know that you will carry me through.  Show me my part in this season.”  

So for now, I will enjoy playing house.  Not my just physical house, but my spiritual walk.  Making what I have beautiful.  I will place each item carefully the shelf and then if I feel led to move it, I will.  I will place each moment at His feet.  He will give me guidance as to where I should put it on His heavenly shelf.  God has a home for me (of course designed by Chip and Joanna Gaines) in heaven.  ;)


Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment