Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Skeletons in the Closet

Nehemiah 9:17New Life Version (NLV)
17 They would not listen, and did not remember Your powerful works which You had done among them. So they became strong-willed and chose a leader to return to their hard work in Egypt. But You are a forgiving God. You are kind and loving, slow to anger, and full of loving-kindness. You did not leave them.

Psalm 51:3, 7 New Life Version (NLV)
For I know my wrong-doing, and my sin is always in front of me.
Take away my sin, and I will be clean. Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Several years ago, I had a conversation with a friend.  We were discussing something that was upsetting and really needed to be lifted up in prayer.  I invited her to come with me to church that Sunday and her response was, “He won’t listen to me.  I haven’t prayed in so long and have done so much wrong in my life.  You pray for me.  He’ll listen to you.”  That conversation burned a whole in my heart because she didn’t know about God’s grace.  No one is perfect and everyone has skeletons in the closet.  

In fact, this past weekend Adam and I were able to hang out with some of our closest friends.  We got to talking about our college days.  As the stories unrolled, skeletons were drug out of the closet.  These are skeletons that make my stomach churn as I type.  I had strayed away from my faith during that time of my life.  Do I have regrets?  Yes.  Do I wish I could take back some of those moments?  Yes.  However, it was in those moments God held me closest to His heart.  He was molding me to be the woman I am today.  God was always there even though I felt alone.  Thank goodness for His grace and the fact that he buries those skeletons for us.  

So whatever you skeletons are, hand them over to Him, let him take that burden away, and be the light He intends you to be for Him.  Share God’s grace with others because I pray frequently that I will come upon that conversation with that friend again.  Because I want to make sure she hears about God’s grace.  

Enjoy Matthew West



No comments:

Post a Comment