Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Unplugged

John 15:5New Life Version (NLV)
I am the Vine and you are the branches. Get your life from Me. Then I will live in you and you will give much fruit. You can do nothing without Me.

Psalm 16:8New Life Version (NLV)
I have placed the Lord always in front of me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be moved.

Electronics have taken a whole new role in our world.  Kids on devices, whether iPads, tablets, or phones.  Parents texting, calling, emailing, and checking social media.  Teens…do I even need to go into that one?  It amazes me to think back to 16 years ago at the turn of the century.  So much has changed in such a short amount of time.  

Having access at the tips of our fingers at all times can be a good thing, but also something that can wear and tear at us over time.  I am reading an article with some of my kids in class about texting.  I asked the kids today if their parents use their cell phones to text and/or email.  Almost every one of them said that they have a hard time getting their parents attention due to the cell phone.  I’m just as guilty as the next person, but am making a conscious effort to turn it off at certain times.  

This past weekend I was able to truly experience being “unplugged”.  My phone caught a virus as it upgraded.  I was traveling to TN at 5:50 am and a babysitter was taking our kids to school.  As I boarded the plan, it hit me.  I did not have our babysitter’s phone number, not being able to call Adam to let him know of the situation, and not having a connection to anyone I knew.  I had a very sick feeling for a while until I was able to connect with everyone on my mom’s phone when she picked me up in Nashville.  It was then that I realized I was truly dependent on that device.  My desperation drew me into a small panic attack.  Then it hit me, am I that dependent on the Lord?  Do I reach for him the moment I have a question, concern, or just need someone to listen?  If He was taken out of my life, would I be as gut wrenched as I was in that moment?  I took some time to really marinate in that idea.  So “unplug”, reach for the book and flip through those thin, lightweight, opaque pages.  


Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment